Thursday, October 16, 2008

My Food Tech Meal.

Barbeque Marinated Chicken Kebabs

What do I need?
3 tbsp tomato ketchup
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp balsamic or sherry vinegar
2 tbsp runny honey
500g skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1cm strips

How do I make it?
1. Mix together the ketchup, soy sauce, vinegar and honey in a shallow dish to make the barbecue sauce.
2. Add the chicken and turn until it is coated in the sauce. Set aside for 10 minutes, or longer if you have time, to marinate the chicken.
3. Meanwhile, preheat the grill to medium-high and line the grill pan with foil.
Thread the chicken onto 12 metal skewers and place on the grill rack. Spoon over the barbecue sauce and grill for 8–10 minutes, turning once, until cooked through. Discard any leftover marinade.
Serves 4.


Evaluation...

My Meal . . .
Today I made my final meal. I think all parts of it went really well, the taste, presentation, timing and client satisfaction were all really good.
I not only enjoyed my meal, but my client did as well. The kebabs were perfectly marinated and cooked for just the right amount of time which resulted in them tasting and looking really good. With the rice, this time Mrs Davies bought pre-cooked rice which just needed heating up. It had instructions on the back which meant I put it in for the right amount of time and didn’t burn it. I also remembered to put the sticks in the chicken before I cooked it so that they were actually kebabs not just strips of chicken. Those were all the things that needed improving from my trial and I think I did everything right the way I intended to do it in the first place.
As for time, once again I stuck to my time plan really well in my opinion which meant there was plenty of time to garnish, serve, photograph and eat my meal, and then wash up! I am glad that I finished on time because time is in my opinion really important. If I ran out of time I might not have been able to cook my meal properly, present it the way I wanted to, cook everything I needed on the plate or finish washing the dishes. I also would not have completed the task in the brief which was make a meal in 50minutes.
Two things I think went really well were the taste and the presentation. Firstly, both me and my client thought that my meal was really nice. Although I have not read her evaluation for it, I could tell by her expression when she ate the meal that she really liked it. The flavour of the BBQ marinate was really nice and tasty.
The second thing that went really well was my presentation. Both me and Mrs Davies thought that mine looked really appetising on the plate. I think this was because I had the 6 little kebabs lined up on rice next to a square little dipping bowl of BBQ sauce, then a colourful salad on the side all presented on a square white plate. Because my salad had bright red capsicum in it, I placed my plate containing my meal on a red apron to create a red background so that it would look good for photographing.
Something I think I could improve if I ever made them again would just be soaking the kebab sticks in water for a bit longer to prevent them from going so burnt and black.
Overall I think that everything in my meal went really well. I am definitely going to make this meal again at home some time because it tasted really good and I think my family would enjoy it too :D.

No comments: