Sunday, May 18, 2008

Creative Writing..

Today started off like any other day. As usual, we drove down the road to the local arena to watch dad rodeo with the bulls. To some people, this might sound like a pretty odd thing to do, but it was a routine for our family. We never missed a good old Sunday at the arena.

This particular Sunday, we were all completely and utterly unaware of what was about to happen. We sat in the very front row of the seats to get good view.
As always, the men were positioned on the bulls and the gates were on the verge of opening. The bull that dad was on looked slightly more fierce and angry than all of the other ones. I felt a bit anxious and worried about the bull he was on but then I reassured myself by thinking of all of the times I had freaked myself out for no reason, worrying about what would happen to dad; it always turned out that he had been absolutely fine. I couldn’t count how many times that had happened but I still couldn’t help having a gut feeling.

All of a sudden the loud booming horn abruptly sounded and the gates flung open. The arena was suddenly drowned with deafening cheers and applause.

I looked up to see that dad had already fallen off his bull. I froze. Fear washed over me and a started to figure out exactly what was about to happen. It just came together like the pieces of a puzzle. I could see the wild and ferocious bull charging towards dad.. My eyes darted towards the gate which lead the way out of the arena. Locked. Panic stricken, I realised that the audience had silenced and only gasps could be heard. As the bull continued to charge towards dad, he leapt up onto his feet and bolted to the gate. Obviously realising that there was no chance of it being unlocked, he just leapt right over it and to everybody’s amazement; so did the bull.
I could hear my heart thudding loudly in my chest as I screamed out “ Dad ! Somebody do something ! ” With tears rolling down my face I had no idea what was going to happen next but I knew it wouldn’t be good..
The lake. My heart lifted. There was a lake on the other side of the gate ! Surely a bull wouldn’t jump into the water? Right? Wrong.

I strained my neck to see what was going on. Once the bull came into my view, I saw dad just keep running into the water. The bull plunged straight in after him. I could not explain how I was feeling. Despite what was happening, time seemed to steady itself. I had never been more terrified in my entire life. Not knowing what was going to happen to my dad was the worst feeling I have ever experienced.

The second the bull touched the clear blue lake, it began to thrash around. It couldn’t swim. As dad swam safely out of the way of the bull, relief flooded over me, I felt shaky but better. Dad was safe.

No comments: